Saturday, March 22, 2008

vampire? i think not. superhero? maybe.

my buddy and i started this little tradition. we refer to it as life-saving, because really, it is. we go get lunch then go give blood. it's good times for sure. especially now since you earn points for donating and then get to pick your own reward for your heroic-ness. it's all quite exciting, no doubt about it. no more none-used marie callendar's pie coupons. and i still have 2 coupons for a pint of baskin-robbins ice cream from giving blood a looooong time ago.
anyways, we went and got taco bell then headed over to the blood bank as usual. joked about how many points we've got and under no circumstances did we joke about having HIV. we did that once and learned it is not a joking matter (unless of course you are the creators of south park). anyways, he went in first and got through the questioning while i waited and played bejeweled on the iphone. then i got the call. and then i got denied. too low of iron. it was a bummer because not only did i not get to give, but now i was even further behind my buddy who had just received his one gallon donor license plate holder. the jealousy was raging (not that it's all a competition or anything. just trying to save some lives. but i do want me a gallon!). but on the plus side of the afternoon, the nurse lady told me i needed to eat a lot of carl's jr. and in-n-out, which is never a bad thing to have to do. plus, i had one of my best games of bejeweled EVER! even better than some random nights in the computer lab in college. also, i was told that i could come back again and try next week.
and come back i did. and my iron went down another point. but i was told to come back and try again next week.
and come back i did. and my iron went down another point. kinda troubling but i got the advice to eat more meat (which is not a problem for me, though that makes me curious as to why my iron was so low anyway). but i was told to come back and try again next week.
and come back i did. and my iron went up 2 points but was still a point below what they could accept. though they did appreciate my tenacity and courage to keep attempting. but i was told to come back and try again next week.
and come back i did. and sweet lord almighty i was good to give again! the receptionist made a comment about my stockpile of donor points i had going on. so i went to check it out and i really did have a crapload of points. apparently you get points every time you come whether your blood is accepted or not. i really don't do it for the points but i am getting free movie passes out of the deal. it'll be fitting when i use a movie pass paid with my blood to go see a superhero movie this summer.

No comments: