Thursday, November 13, 2008

popped culture: music edition 2

Personally, I continue to think that Taylor Swift is overrated. I didn't care for her when she first came out. A song or two off her first album grew on me a bit (I mean, you really couldn't escape them. They were on every station like that stupid Kid Rock/Sweet Home Alabama song. But I digress). But the more Taylor Swift was shoved down my throat, the more and more I just didn't get it. Then yesterday I watched the CMT Crossroads with her and Def Leppard (whom I have seen in concert and dig. How can you not like a band with a one-armed drummer?) and I again was struck by the thought of "I don't get what the big deal is." Her voice, not that good. Her shiny gold dress, not appropriate with the dancing she was doing as a teenager...and her dancing wasn't very good either. Not a good stage presence at all. Answer me this: Would she be as "wildly popular" if she wasn't a 6 foot tall blonde teenager? I don't think so. She writes from her heart and thus people identify with her songs...which is just fine. But Taylor Swift is overrated.

p.s. if you want to see what it should be like...watch the CMT Crossroads with Bon Jovi and Sugarland. They were having a great time putting on a great show. Class acts. And they can sing the hell outta that 6 foot tall blonde teenager.
****by the way. Since I wrote this yesterday, I swear to you she is now haunting me. At work, the XM country station plays and this morning they played abour 6 Taylor Swift songs in a row as some sort of spotlight. and the stupid Love Story song itself has played 8 times. I want to poke my ears out. That makes absolutely no sense. This is what Taylor Swift overload has done to me. Ugh. Make it stop!****

1 comment: